Ford Ranger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Ranger a few months ago, and I have a trip coming up to tow a U-Haul trailer from the Pacific NW to St. Louis. I read that the Ranger loses 2% of the GVWR and GCWR for every 1,000 feet in elevation. The highest elevation is 8,000 feet. So, I'm wondering if I will have any issues.

The U-Hail dry weight is 1920 lbs. We probably have less that 1500 lbs of cargo. So, towing 3420 lbs.
If I assume 10% tongue weight. That gives me 342 lbs against the GVWR.
The GVWR is 6050 lbs for the 4x4 super crew. And the truck weights 4441 lbs.
At 8000 feet the truck will lose 16% of the GVWR down to 5082 lbs.
Subtracting the truck weight and tongue weight from 5082 leaves 299 lbs of payload.
Basically me and my suitcase.

Does this make sense? I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road throwing out cargo like on the Oregon Trail.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard about all the confusing statistics and numbers and I'm sure there is some truth to all of it. From my experiences so far towing my enclosed cargo trailer through the mountains in Tennessee at roughly 3,700 lbs which I know the grades are not as steep, I have not had any problems however I'm NOT like more and more people I see towing, I take it easy not trying to or expecting to be able to maintain 70mph going up the grade. It's kinda scary the amount of people I see towing trailers passing my by like I'm standing still and I'm going 65-70 mph even on level roads

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have read other posts on other forums, and no one is seeing issues due to the elevation. Seems fuel injection takes care of the oxygen density. Makes me wonder why Ford keep printing non-sense information in the owners manual. Using tow mode and driving reasonably should cover it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts