Ford Ranger Forums banner

2021 Ford Ranger XLT trailer brakes

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  turbo130 
#1 ·
Going to purchase and ALiner camper. I will need trailer brakes. Everything I have read says my Ranger, although it has a tow package, isn’t prewired for a plug and play brake system. I have read horror stories about Ford’s OEM brake controller system including the need to remove head liner during installation. Just looking for experience input as I proceed with the addition of brake controller for my Ranger. I am not big on removing dash or panels because I am leery of potential rattles. Any input on Curt Echo wireless controller? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Not sure about the 2021 model year but on my 2020 with the factory tow package the wiring was there under the dash, it just had to be spliced and connected to the controller. I had the dealership where I bought mine at new install the one Ford offers and they said they didn't have to do anything with the headliner but I didn't watch them install it and it doesn't look like they messed with it. The reason I went with that one verses one from another source is that one has an extra module for the AEB system. If I went with the one from another source it doesn't have that module so if the AEB activated while towing it would not apply the trailer brakes which could be a disaster and I didn't want to mess with having to remember to turn the AEB off when towing. So far it has been working fine and thankfully I haven't been in a situation where the AEB was activated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.