Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the Cars.com video review and it's still not an easy choice. Check it out below if you haven't.

I'd say the main reasons to buy the Ranger are:
Better power and access to it
Better tech
Better payload
Great off-roading especially at speed

I think the only thing I'm disappointed in is that the fuel economy isn't better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still have a hard time getting over the fact the "new" Ranger doesn't have anything you would expect in a pickup that hasn't been here in years prior.
It speaks to how much of it was brought over from other markets and slightly altered for appeal in the American pickup market.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ford is merely testing interest in the NA market before developing an entirely new platform for the Ranger. They are already developing a smaller focus based model that will slot in beneath it. Main thing we need to see it was depreciation is like. Toyota always has an advantage in that regard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ford is merely testing interest in the NA market before developing an entirely new platform for the Ranger. They are already developing a smaller focus based model that will slot in beneath it. Main thing we need to see it was depreciation is like. Toyota always has an advantage in that regard.
I think it was more of a way to scoop up demand and not letting it slip away to rival brands that have been doing it for years already.
Just imagine the heat Ford has been getting from investor and board members for holding out this long!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its not so much testing when a next-generation version has been in the works for a long time.

I think it had more to do with competition. Why wait another year or two when rival automakers are ready right now and have been for many years already.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its not so much testing when a next-generation version has been in the works for a long time.

I think it had more to do with competition. Why wait another year or two when rival automakers are ready right now and have been for many years already.
Yes, testing the waters is essential for any business. Still weird to see this be the Rangers return. 2020 versions are such a big departure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Results from IIHS testing revealed the Ranger isn't as safe as the Tacoma, but won't be of much concern if you're already sold on the Ranger.

The first crash-test ratings for the 2019 Ford Ranger show it's a tough truck in an accident, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), although no mid-size pickup has yet aced the group's complete battery of tests.

Among 2019 crew-cab mid-size pickups, the Ranger scored the same as the Toyota Tacoma. It earned the top Good rating in five of six tests but a second-best Acceptable for the passenger on the small front overlap test, in which a quarter of the vehicle's front end hits a rigid barrier at 40 mph. That's because the test dummy indicated a "significant risk of injury" to a real person's right leg due to some intrusion into the cabin. The same test on the opposite side yielded better results. Like other pickups in this category including the GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado, which scored an even lower Marginal in the passenger-side small overlap test, the IIHS test shows Ranger sustains more damage in the area surrounding the front passenger than around the driver.

Elsewhere, the Ranger scored Marginal for headlight effectiveness and for the ease of installing child seats into the LATCH anchors. Its standard forward emergency braking earned the top Superior rating among collision-avoidance tests. These tests were also identical to the Tacoma's. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has not yet tested a Ranger.

Compared with the 1998 Ranger, which the IIHS ran in only one test, the new one is considerably safer and is evidence of how much Ford reengineered its foreign-market truck to meet more stringent U.S. standards. But we do miss the old Ranger's compact size.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28244001/2019-ford-ranger-iihs-crash-testing/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I watched the Cars.com video review and it's still not an easy choice. Check it out below if you haven't.

I'd say the main reasons to buy the Ranger are:
Better power and access to it
Better tech
Better payload
Great off-roading especially at speed

I think the only thing I'm disappointed in is that the fuel economy isn't better.

I’m a long time Toyota fan myself and have been brought into the Ranger crew as it became a fleet truck for us
Didn’t expect to like it as much as I do now. Still a bit hesitant about the longevity , but stoked about the comfort and sizing of the 2019 Ranger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts