Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I have a truck problem and don't know anything about trucks. So here goes...

About a month ago I was driving my 2008 4x4 auto ranger work truck and as I tried to accelerate to about 55 mph, it slid out of gear and just revved. When I pulled over, I couldn't get it to go into Drive or Reverse, but I discovered I could go into low and 2nd manually to at least get it home. From there, since the truck is old and not worth a ton to repair, I took it to "a guy" (yeah, I know) who I thought was an ASE mechanic who said he could work on it cheap and it sounded like a torque converter, not the transmission. To make a long story short, it's a month later and I just got the truck back after about three different torque converter changes (or so I'm told) and a few hundred dollars. (He said it was difficult to get the right TC and he had to exchange it twice.) It still won't shift into gear properly and now it's really loud (exhaust leak apparently) and a loud rattle in Park (starter I'm told). So basically back to square one. At this point I have no idea what to do, if anything, to get this running. I still can't afford a large repair bill (even less so now). I'm wondering if the problem is indeed a bad transmission or if there is another direction I can check out. I guess I'd just like a bit of advice so that even if I take it to a shop, I will know if what they tell me is reasonable. Thanks for any help you can suggest...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts