Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to take my 97 2wd 2.3 ranger mudding with some of my buddies but i dont want to look stupid. has anyone been mudding in a 4 cyl ranger. we might wont go tell the summer. what should i do to the truck before the to get it ready for the mud. btw will not be hitting very many or any trails at all.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Well, I've been mudding in a 95 2wd 4cyl before... actually it was quite fun! Of couse, don't go through something where you know you will need 4wd. For trail riding, it should do just fine!

Is this the first time you've driven a vehicle offroad? If so, be really careful, the mud gets very slippery and the truck could fishtail on you (higher chance if you have limited slip - sounds like an oxymoron... LOL).

Just take it slow. Do you have a 5spd or auto? Different techniques while on the trail for each.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i ride 4 wheelers in the mud all the time and i have drove a truck a few times but not a manual in the mud.(and mines a manual :exclaim:)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. For trail riding, I prefer an automatic since you can just let off the brake and roll. With a 5spd, I find it easier to keep from spinning tires in the mud. And of course it would probably be a little easier on the 5spd when you get stuck and have to rock it back and forth.

1st to Reverse... and vice-versa.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think, i am thinking about putting a 2in skyjacker lift on the truck with coil springs and add a leaf springs. i was wondering if i need new shocks .

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I would recommend them. The stock ones MIGHT be okay for running on the street, but when your offroad, the shocks will need to extend due to flex. I don't think the stock ones would have much room to extend if they are already being stretched 2".

I think Skyjacker makes some 2" lift shocks. Check eBay... if I remember right, they were only about $40/each (maybe less).

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, I'd say they would work for a while. You may not be able to get the most offroad capability out of them, but for street driving, they may be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
What size are you going to go with?

Are you looking for all-terrains or mud-terrains?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure on the size yet but would like some all-terrains, my dad has some on his f250 but idk if they grab well.
i do know i dont want to bog the truck down with big tires

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've heard good things about Goodyear all-terrains. They make several kinds.

I think olfordtruck just bought a set for his truck and loves them.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
He's been pretty busy with school lately. You might want to try shooting a PM to him just in case he doesn't see the thread.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
welcome i can help out alot here also. i might have missed but are you 2 or 4wd i mudded my 2wd 4cyl 5 speed all the time in washington state and nebraska. for the lift if your only going 2" just put a coil spacer and a camber kit dont waste your money on any other lift for 2" just space it here is a link for the camber adjuster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FULLY-ADJUSTABLE-ALIGNMENT-CAMBER-CASTER-BUSHING-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aFordQ7cModelQ3aRangerQQhashZitem1c17cf863bQQitemZ120658560571QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1085wt_758 thats +/- 4 degrees of adjustment it should do for 2" of lift. for the shocks you can just leave them for now but kiip i mind your susp travel will be limited by the shock it will bottom out on up and down travel.

i can prob help out more just post it and will will come

·
Registered
583 Posts
Tire wise, I love my Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. IMO, by far the best all around tire for mud, snow, pavement. A good all around tire. Its More aggressive than the BFG a/t which everybody loves, but doesn't make a ton of noise going down the road.

For buying tires, you can always go to your local tire shop and see what they got. Or you can go on tirerack.com or discounttire.com are some of the bigger online tire stores.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts