Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, first post, be gentle. Friend's '93 Ranger, 2.3 w/ 5-speed, 250K miles. Here's what I've done so far:

* New clutch
* New cap, rotor, wires, plugs (dual ignition)
* New air filter
* New oxygen sensor
* New catalytic converter

Starts and warms up fine, once warm and during driving a couple cylinders want to cut out and power goes down for a minute or two, then returns. Does this a few times in local driving. I'm thinking, in order, the following:

* Coil pack going south (one looks recent, other looks a bit old)
* Camshaft Position Sensor (tells which jugs to fire)
* Brain box (I've seen it before)

Is there a separate Crank Position Sensor? Anything else I could be overlooking? Anyone had experience with this issue? Greatly appreciate help, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still having problems...? Check fuel pressure and delivery volume. Check also for water in the fuel by catching some in a clear container. Any water should form droplets at the bottom of the container. Water can cause intermittent misfire when the drops get fed to(through) the injectors.
The Lima likes plain-old spark plugs, and can misfire if equipped with multi-electrode plugs. I have used motorcraft(factory OEM) in mine with no problems.
If you have a distributor, as you replaced the cap and rotor, it won't have a cam position sensor. It will have a TFI module and a pickup coil internal to the distributor. The TFI was noted for being heat sensitive, and the pickup coil can start to disintegrate as it ages. The rubbery 'plastic' that holds the connectors for the external wiring starts to turn to goo.
I do not know ignition systems by vintage to know what you actually have.
tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts