Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am new here. Just about to purchase a new 2012 ranger, I would like to get the 2.2 diesel, which has plenty of power for 95% of my use, but for 4 weeks a year I need it to tow a 1100 kg caravan up the coast. So the question is, will the 2.2 pull the van, will I damage the car/engine in any way?, or will it be OK just a more slugihs?
thanks. Tony

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi Tony, welcome.
Looks like your from across the puddle ie: 1100 kgs, caravan. [1100 ~= 2500 lbs for those that don't know]. Because it's new and under warranty I would go off the tag on your door pillar and look for the GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The way I understand the rules of the DOT is take your Ranger, fully loaded with fuel and whatever you normally pack with you for your trips including passengers to the weigh scale and weigh it. Subtract that from the GVWR and whats left is what the manufacturer thinks is what you can tow. So now take your fully loaded trailer [that's what I'm guessing a "caravan" is] to the weigh scale and get the weight. Combine the truck and trailer and it shouldn't exceed the GVWR. I'm sure that Ford has built in a big safety margin so I, me, myself, personally, wouldn't have a problem going over the limit. How much over depends on your driving ability,experience, and the terrain. Some people should NEVER tow, they are a danger to everyone.
The same rules about weight would apply to a camper that slides into the box.
In the flats like where I live now I have towed double the recommended weight. In the mountains where I used to live its very dangerous to be overloaded. I've had the brakes smoking on a vehicle while NOT TOWING ANYTHING! Braking is the major reason for these weight limits IMO
Take this advise for what it's worth; free and on the net....do your research at more than one place.
Good luck,

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts