Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one in great shape for 50 beans, if I'm not mistaken my 87 came with a 8.8" with 3.73's

what kind of problems would I have trying to throw the newer axle up under the 87?

·
Registered
712 Posts
why a 8.8 is a much better axle. im pretty sure that the 95 should have a 8.8 and your 87 should have a 7.5 :-[

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH snap, I have it backwards then?

the one I found is out of a 95 and the guy says it a 7.5, the 4WD Ford guy thats helping me get over the Ford "hump" said its a 8.8 under my truck right now, my rearend is shot, the housing is grooved all to **** and looks horrible, the seal puke fluid, and yea it's getting replaced...

I'm looking for something that will take the beating from my 302, for $50 I don't want to get it and break it, I'll just get another 8.8 for some more money.

I was going to go with a 9" but I'm trying to get the truck going like within the next month so I want a direct swap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've studied up on thus far on TRS I have an 8.8, I'll check tomorrow to be sure, but the only difference between the 8.8 and 7.5 is carrier bearings and gears, according to what I've read that is.

So in theory I should have no problem throwing the 7.5" under the truck? I'd like to go with the Explorer axle with disc brakes but I haven't found one cheap enough.

·
Registered
712 Posts
A 8.8 should hold up fine to 302 depending on what size tire your running but your going to have to clean all the brackets of and set the axle up how you have in your truck already. a 7.5 will not last very long hell i have one in my bronco II and i can break it in hart beat with 35's and a v6 just by doing a burn out. the last time i tried i shot the cross pin right out of the diff cover and made a big mess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, okay I'll be sticking to my 8.8 then, so far besides some one leaving the pinion bolt loose and leaving the rearend to eat itself, the axle has take over 9k miles of the old 302, and about 600 of the new one, I' m running 31" right now but i'd like to get it a little higher and at least clear 35"

Thanks for the help, good thing i didnt grab the 7.5 just to break it lol

Ida been one angry guy, one of the fun parts of this will be the brake stands and burnouts.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
My truck...
8.8" + 4.10 gears = 0 mpg + lots of fun!!!!!

that 8.8" will let the 302 fly!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it has an 8.8 in it now :p

I just jumped up under there today, Im home sick from school so I had the time to check it out.

I wished the person hadnt let something so simple go unnoticed until the rearend started clunking...

Then I wouldn't be in this situation, but I'll be honest, even with the rear shot i got into it and it took off, so i'll be glad when i get a good rearend in.

I might go with 4.10's front and rear.

Anyone have any ideas on using a Bw1356 Tcase with my AOD?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im diggin up my thread, its not too old :p

I found an axle out of an 94, for 25 bucks, no play really and the housing looks good.

It turns out I'm thinking my truck has a 7.5" because the diff housing doesnt match that of an 8.8 even though the tag says it is.

The only thing i know about the donor truck is a 94 with a 2.3.

I need bolt up, rebuilding isn't an option and for the price of this I'm going to get it today.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
cvalcore said:
a 8.8 is equivalent to dana 44
It is a good axle, but isnt the D44 a 31-spline whereas the Ranger 8.8" is a 28-spline? The explorer 8.8" is a 30-spline.

I say go for an explorer axle swap! Gives you about 3" drop too if you keep it the current setup... if you're in to dropped trucks...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is a 7.5, the one i just picked up is a 94 7.5, it has hardly any play, virtually none, just needs some brakes, $25 couldnt pass it up.

We'll see how she takes the 302, it's not super powerful or anything, not too far off stock, so it should be okay.

I'll get it in this weekend, and it'll be on the road by monday.

Hah, Im stoked. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow when it isnt dark.

too bad its open, might have to fix that, i'm pretty sure the one i have now has a locker, not having the greatest idea of how they work, could i salvage it from my old one?

·
Registered
559 Posts
rngrdanny22 said:
It is a good axle, but isnt the D44 a 31-spline whereas the Ranger 8.8" is a 28-spline? The explorer 8.8" is a 30-spline.

I say go for an explorer axle swap! Gives you about 3" drop too if you keep it the current setup... if you're in to dropped trucks...
Expo 8.8 is also 31 spline.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was under the impression that from ~ '90 up all ranger based vehicles were 8.8 ?
Richard

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nooo. Most, if not all 4 bangers are the 7.5 and 3.0's came with both. Im not too sure on the 4.0 some may be 7.5.

I am pretty sure the 09 XL has the 7.5.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as was I, but this one looks like a 7.5 and was behind a 2.3.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Clarified, thanks. I was thinking of the front, I guess, maybe, ??? :D
Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, that threw me off to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone have any suggestions for gear oil? i was thinking royal purple.

that what i run in my C10

1 - 20 of 34 Posts