Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here but I have a 1993 ford ranger 3.0 v6 that is giving me problems and was wondering if someone else had an idea. When the truck is started the engine will race like 3000 rpm judging by the sound, it will also flood sometimes and is hard to start. If I disconnect the throttle position sensor the idle will come down, but then gives me a bunch of other running problems. I have replaced ignition module, idle air control valve. throttle position sensor and cleaned the throttle body. Any ideas? Computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only logical explanation is a vacuum leak, however that shouldn’t explain such an insanely high idle. I would check the cec and see if it’s properly programmed, however if you don’t know how then i would take it to a technician

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I also thought of vacuum leak so I smoked checked the intake and checked vacuum hoses but came up empty. I am down to thinking control module but thought maybe someone on had experienced this since the truck is so old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so today i tried the smoke tester again and seen little smoke out of the throttle body nothing major. This time i opened up the oil cap and smoke came pouring out. Could the intake be leaking internally? I have never seen this before. The tester is low pressure so I cant see it going past the rings. Any thoughts? The tester is hooked up to the intake manifold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts