Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE WE GO!!
my ranger was running great.then one day i came home from work. no problems..next morning went to get in and go to work ..would not crank.
so far
i have put new fuel pump.
new ignition module.
checked compression.
checked timing,and timing chain all good.
fuel pressure is right at fuel rail.
checked all fuses.
even took it to a repair shop,they had it for a month could not get it running.
it has fire,and fuel, will not run......
ANY HELP from a 2.9 expert would be OMG great.
only thing i can think of is the ecu was getting wet from windshield leak .. would this cause my problem??
tried pull starting it. it backfires through both ends

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Are you getting spark at the sparkplugs?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I deleted your other thread, no need of posting 2 of the exact same

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I re-read your post, you say no crank. So your motor is not turning over? Check battery, should see 13.5 volts or so. Next check battery cables and ends, make sure they are clean. Sometimes if the cables are real old there is corrosion under the plastic. Replace cables if over 15 years old. Check all your grounds, there is a lot of them, use sandpaper and then some electrical 'goop' [can't remember name] to prevent corrosion.
The rest of your post leads me to believe that it IS cranking over. So could you give the numbers for your tests; compression, fuel pressure, etc.
What year?
2.9 auto, standard?
I'd look at the distributor, does it have T.F.I. module? They are famous for not working or working intermittently.
If you have access to another known good 2.9 computer, try it. Even if it's not for the same year and tranny, it should run, maybe not well but that will give an indication about the original computer.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think richard means die-electric grease?

I had a similar problem happen to me in my 79 bronco, lots of times she wouldnt turn over. but I added another ground wire going from the terminal to the fender bolt, and she started every time since.

try tunring it over while having someone wiggle the battery cables

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
fordzilla said:
I think richard means die-electric grease?
Yep.

Richard

·
Registered
984 Posts
if its back firing both ends. youhave fuel and fire, one thing ,its in the timing "ecu was getting wet " this would do it pullit see if its getting wet

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
he said his motor isnt turning over though

·
Registered
711 Posts
my old 87 broncoii had a problem just like this and it turned out to be a loose ground. you could also try the starter solenoid, they are notorious. at some point i've had to change it on all 4 rbv's i've had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts