Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited an ’84 Ranger that has oil blowing out of the vented oil cap. My first thought goes to the PCV system which was disabled by one of the previous owners. There is a ¾ inch tube that runs from what looks like an oil separator on the crankcase. It has been cut and plugged with a metal rod. There is also a ¾ inch tube that runs to an intake just below the carb. It too has been cut and it is plugged with a lug nut. So, this looks like the PCV system with the center of the tube cut out and the ends plugged. I suspect that this is the cause of the oil blowby (at least I hope it’s that and not the rings).

My problem is that I cannot find a PCV valve there or anywhere else. Is the PCV valve incorporated into the oil separator? Or could it have been placed somewhere in the length of the tube (most of which is missing)? Or something else?

According to the VIN this is a 2.0 and the odometer reads 80,000+ (which might be 180,000+, or even 280, 000+) miles on it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
sorry bro im not too sure on the 2.0 ill do some searchin an see if i can find you some info

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm not familiar either. Could you post pics?

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the problem of locating the pcv valve, but lucky for you i did finally find it, the hoses your are taking about are correct there is supposed to be a pcv valve there, but beware its hard to find the one that the hoses are made for, so if you get an aftermarket one, you might have to replace those hoses

1 - 4 of 4 Posts