Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 2006 4cyl. that starts but I have to pump gas to get it to start. It then will sometimes not idle without giving it some gas for a little while. I was thinking it was the fuel pump or maybe sparkplugs.

I do not have any experience with this truck. I bought it in July. Before then I was a Jeep owner. I never had this problem with the Jeep so I am at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would look at other things first. The motor is fuel injected, and the computer injects fuel according to what the sensors tell it. It sounds like opening the throttle helps it start and idle. That leads me to believe that it's too rich....opening the throttle allows more air in, the computer controls the fuel input.
Does the motor have this starting problem when cold, hot, or both?
possible sensors to look at;
temp, iac, iat.
There could be others but I'm at the limit of my knowledge.
If you plan on working on your vehicles yourself it's a good idea to buy some books on fuel injection and tuning along with a truck specific manual - chiltons or haynes comes to mind, they aren't the greatest but better than no help. Another site that is good for explaining sensors for ford fuel injection is
http://oldfuelinjection.com/
Good luck,
Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Richard. I have the aftermarket manual. It does help some but not much for this issue. Thanks for the link as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I noticed that the gas pedal sticks and it takes a little bit to get it pressed. It now has a Parking Brake issue. The light stays on or comes on at odd times. I don't even use the P-brake as my truck is auto.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Gas pedal; I don't know? Check the line and make sure nothing is binding, especially on the motor side of things. I had the same problem on a car of mine but the kids inherited it before I got a chance to look at it. Thanks for reminding me as I need to look at that before too long.
P-brake; You have to use these regularly or they stop working. I would suspect that one of the lines is seized and causing the light problem. It's a matter of getting on your knees and looking. You could start by looking in the book at the p-brake section and see how it goes together. you might have some luck just working the pedal on and off, then spray with chain lube or whatever is recommended. If not, then disconnect the cables and make sure they are working freely, the cable should slid easily inside its protective wrapping. You MAY be able to disconnect by engaging the brake full on, then using vise grips on the lines that go back to the wheels. This leaves slack in the main line when the pedal is released. It can also wreck the line with the vise grips by squishing the line too much, so be careful. If not working, replace. You should also make a habit of putting on the parking brake at least once a week to dislodge any crap and help spread the factory lube around.
How did you do on the last fix?
Good luck,

Richard
PS; you follow my advice at your own risk.....be CAREFUL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing has worked so far. I just noticed that this problem seems to go hand to hand with the other. I am thinking they maybe related somehow. When the truck starts fine i never see the light. when i have to use gas to start it then the p-brake light comes on during the run. I am taking very good notes and will post all to the forum when I find the dang problem. thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts