Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking suggestions for 15x7/15x8 rims that fit a '91 ranger 4x4 with the least amount of backspacing possible. I don't care about brand name or if it's steel or aluminum, actually prefer steel. This is to avoid buying wheel spacers for my short-course race truck. I would like to know what vehicle to look for when I'm cruising the J.Y.
Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
come to think of it i have never heard of them making a 0" back spacing. im wondering if you have less back spacing it moves the wheel out right? keep in mind if you push the wheel outward to far (not sure what to far out would be) it will put uneven load on the wheel bearings causing them to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think anyone makes a 0 degree backspacing wheel either, I'm just looking for ideas on a wheel with the LEAST backspacing I can get. This is for my race truck, I'm trying to get a wider track...so I don't flip so easy! I knew about the wheel bearing issue but thanks for reminding me, I'll just have to look at them more often. The truck MIGHT get 30 miles a month on it so I'm not too worried.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
maybe spacers would be the best bet. do you have to keep the stock rear end in it or can you use like a crown vic rear end its alot wider and a 8.8.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ That's a good idea. I'll keep an eye out for something wider with the same gearing. Maybe a 9" if I'm going with wheel spacers anyway. I'm going to check and see what extra width I might get swapping on d-44 knuckles, That will help with the bearing spacing too.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
im so stupid i didnt even think of it but the f-150 hubs and brakes are not that hard to put on you have to ream out the ball joint hole but you will get bigger disk brakes and a 2" wider track per side but you will need rims or adapters cuz its different bolt pattern

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
BADINTEN, what bolt pattern is the D44 TTB? Is it 5x5.5?

If so, he could get a 9" rear axle to match the front... wider and stronger!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
im not sure on the d44 but if its the same as the 2wd f-150 i think its ether 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5

·
Registered
984 Posts
yep the same. some dodge stuff works biggest thing is finding a rim with the center hole big enough to fit the front hubs. lots of **** out there with the same bolt pattern.i think most jeep , mid 70s to early 80 full size ford cars,but the car rims dont fit had a few sets of race rims round off a old dirt car build on a squire and the center holes dont work. i have seen lots of dudes way back when i wore a much younger man shoes,build there own off set rims for racing .most all steel rims are two piece, they grind the centers out than set the off set and buzz it back together i remember my old man and his brother doing this when i was a kid . search the net on home made rims i bet my ass there some old dirt track guy out there showing how it was done. now the Qs, do run locked in. what tire pressures up front?how much- camber ? and are you really attached to the front tires? by running higher pressures in font with a bit more - camber,with a less aggressive tire.my give you a little more push and help with the over steer. just some racing theory,now if it applies to you application ??? just some ramblings from an old back yard grease monkey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts